Thursday, January 10, 2008

What's the deal with my name?

I'm going to commit blog taboo by putting my whole name out there: Adams Ellsworth! Seriously, what is it with my name that makes people add an "s" on the end of "Adam"? Everyone does it. Just yesterday, the librarian at my lawfirm spelled my name "Adams Bellsworth." The "B" I understand, because the "m" could in some occasions produce sufficient stoppage to generate a "b" sound. Try it. But the "s"? It comes from nowhere.

I mean, has anyone ever met someone with a first name of "Adams"? Madison, maybe. Jefferson, Clinton, perhaps even Roosevelt. But Adams? Not I.

And yet for some reason people feel a compulsion to add an "s" on the end of my first name. It has happened all my life. As far as I know, my siblings don't suffer from the same name-disease. I wonder if my name has a subconcious power to cross neural pathways.

I like that thought. My name has special powers. They aren't very powerful yet, but even so, you can't resist them, can you?

And what might happen if those powers grow...? Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

or is it Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha?

2 comments:

  1. You will always be powerful in our book. The "s" is to signify that you can do the work of more than one man. It's a complement of great proportions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And again! The guys who are drafting my DC Bar certificate called, and told me that if I wanted my middle initial to appear on the certificate, I would have to call somebody. I asked how my name would appear if I didn't change anything, and he said, "Adams Ellsworth."

    "Without the 's'?" I asked.

    "Without the 'C.'," he said.

    He didn't even know he had added an 's' to my first name. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete